Bill of Rights Activity
The year is 1791. The world as Americans knew it has recently been turned upside down by the end of the Revolutionary War—a war that gave them their freedom from England. Now American colonists will no longer have to submit to an unfair king who wanted to keep Americans from having rights of their own. America is independent, but there is nothing on paper to guarantee the new government will give people the rights and freedoms they want. A group of leaders decides to add a Bill of Rights to the Constitution to define what rights people will have.
Your task: You will write a RAP, POEM, or SONG over the Bill of Rights (You may work with a partner (you plus one) or by yourself).
- You may either record a RAP, POEM or SONG on your phone or perform it LIVE. *** NO VIDEOS WILL BE PLAYED****
- You may use electronic music with it or create your own. PLEASE NOTE THAT REGARDLESS OF YOUR SELECTION (RAP, POEM or SONG) YOU MUST HAVE MUSIC AND LYRICS TO ACCOMPANY YOUR PRESENTATION. LYRICS MUST BE ORGINAL
- RAP, POEMS, or SONGS will be shown in class. YOU WILL HAVE TO WORK ON THIS ASSIGNMNENT MAJORITY AT HOME, BECAUSE THERE WILL NOT BE A LOT OF CLASS TIME ALLOTTED.
If you decide to do a rap, please note the description of a rap listed as follows: Raps are talk songs. They have a heavy beat and a lot of rhyme. Behind the speaker of a rap, there might be original music, “scratching” sounds and parts of people of other people’s songs.
To write your own rap, begin with your topic. You have to know enough about the topic to rap about it. Tell the whole story of your topic in a rhyme. Most raps come in couplets. That means line rhymes two at a time.
Begin your lyrics with a line that has a strong beat or rhythm. Rhyme the next line with the first. Try to repeat the same rhythm in the second and so forth.
Grade Rubric: (PLEASE VIEW GRADING POLICY BELOW)
- Rap, Poem or Song includes accurate information( Bill of Rights 1-10 Amendments Only) ________/20 points
- Rap, Poem or Song includes music ( _____ /10 points)
- Group members work together and everyone is involved in process ( _____/10 points)
- Presentation ( _____/60 points)
- Showing Enthusiasm
- Presentation is Engaging
******THIS ASSIGNMENT IS DUE ON: Sept 14) - NO EXCEPTIONS!! SO BE READY!!!*********